WPML Media Translation is an add-on plugin for WPML (WordPress Multilingual Plugin) that allows you to display different images for content in different languages.
It enables you to translate the meta texts of images like Alternative text, Title, or Caption for images not added via the Media Library and the editor.
The plugin is especially useful for websites that have different audiences from different regions or countries with different languages, cultural differences, or needs.
It helps site owners to customize their media content to fit the target audience’s preferences and interests and create a better user experience.
Some common use cases for WPML Media Translation include:
- Creating unique images for content targeted at different regions or countries with different languages or cultures.
- Translating image meta texts like Alternative text, Title, or Caption for images not added via the Media Library and the editor.
- Providing customized images for specific languages to reflect cultural differences or needs.
The WPML Media Translation plugin doesn’t duplicate any files on your site. Instead, it updates the meta information of the original image to reflect the translation. The plugin’s suggested translation options are selected by default, but you can make changes to these options as needed.
The plugin provides various options for translating media, which can be found in the Media Translation section at the bottom of the WPML → Settings page. The available options include:
- Existing media content: You can set the default language as the default language for existing media, duplicate existing media into all languages, or update translated content with the corresponding translated media.
- New media content: You can duplicate newly uploaded media, media attachments, or featured images so that they are available in all languages.
- Media library texts: You can translate all the text you add to your image in the Media Library, including the image description.
Once the plugin is activated, you can access Media Translation by going to WPML → Media Translation. From there, you can translate your media files by sending your content for translation, translating the image meta texts in the Advanced Translation Editor, and updating the translated media in the Media Translation table.
It’s important to note that the image texts from the Media Library are only copied over the first time you insert an image into a post or page.
If you want to make a change to the Alt Text, Caption, and Title attribute of an image already inserted into a post or page, you need to do it from the post editor. You can then update the translation automatically or in the Advanced Translation Editor.
Overall, WPML Media Translation is a powerful plugin that helps site owners create customized media content for different target audiences in different languages, and provides a better user experience for their visitors.